Sunday, July 31, 2022

Harrisburg

Last year, I came in from East, from Pittsburg, via a half dozen burgs. This time I approached Harrisburg from north, perpendicular to the Appalachian creases and following the Juniata River.  It created a new layer of Harrisburg in my memory. The two layers of Harrisburg had to be connected to make it a whole. Otherwise they'll remain separate and unrelated, like Madison. And the nexus between the two was the Susquehanna River. I walked to the river from the Capitol last year, and I crossed the river to the north of downtown this year.

I didn't leave Elyria until after 1 PM, and I got to State College at almost 6 PM. I plugged in the car first and then walked around Penn State. It was 7 PM, past dinner time, when I was done. I drove to Kimchi but it was closed. I drove back to College Ave and settled for a hole-in-the-wall place named The Koop and had bibimbap there. Then I finally crossed Susquehanna River to get to the Harrisburg supercharger after 9 PM. I plugged and slept there.


I drove back to the Susquehanna River in the morning. McDonald's was conveniently located on Front Street, at the north end of the city, for the morning coffee. I took the coffee to Fort Hunter Mansion Park north of it for breakfast. Then it was matter of following the river to the state capitol in the south where I was the last time, to connect today's Harrisburg with the last year's. Afterwards, I drove through Harrisburg downtown on the way to NJ. That done, I now can say that I understand Harrisburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment