Friday, September 15, 2017

Mesquite, NV, Day 4

It happened again; I settled in and I crashed. The day after we arrived here I took a day off to rest. And I was feeling fine the next day. My pace was over 100 steps/min and I was walking up and down the stairs. The day after, I wallowed in fatigue. Today, I'm feeling even worse and my pace dropped to 90.

The Navajo Loop hike in Bryce Canyon took me 600 feet down and back up. My fitbit even congratulated me for climbing 50 stories. The activities in the second day here was nothing compared to that. Yet it triggered crash. This just about confirms my suspicion that travelling raises the threshold and it collapses back when I settle in.

Does it collapse to a lower level than before the travel started? So far the answer seems to be yes. I struggled for almost 2 months after the Thanksgiving trip to Southern California last year. It wasn't as bad in NYC after the cross-country trip, but I still racked up 2 crashes in June. That's higher than 1 a month that I averaged before the trip.

We'll be back on the road on Sunday, so I won't have enough time in Mesquite to observe the settling effect. But I'm predicting that the threshold will go back up and I'll do just fine in Yosemite.  Then I'll observe the settling effect when I get to Central Valley or Bay Area.



No comments:

Post a Comment