Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Post-trip Observation

A week since we settled in Sacramento, and the post-trip struggle continues.  I felt a little better on the 24th after struggling for a few days, so swam 5 laps. That seems to have put me on downward spiral and I've been feeling debilitated since. How is that possible that I could take 16,000 steps and 600 feet elevation gain and still function while traveling, and yet I conk out only with 5 laps slow swim? I haven't taken more than 4000 steps a day either.

The travelling clearly have had an effect on my condition. I had lip sores that I haven't had since I got sick with CFS. That means my exercise threshold went way up that I did not keel over by the physical stress that was enough to trigger lip blisters. And I didn't lie down, not once, while charging the car on the return trip whereas I had to frequently when I started out on the trip. That's an improvement. But that could be because I was in a more stimulated state on the return trip from NYC than when I started out before. NYC was still a new environment when I left.

Now that I settled back in, however, the familiar struggle returned. It will last another month or so if the past is any indication.  The real question is, will this long trip have any lasting effect? I wouldn't know for a few months, but chances are that it won't. The past trips haven't made much difference. They had only temporary lifting effects while travelling, just like Caffeine or Sudafed, only to end up with post-trip struggles.  This one may end up the same. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment