Saturday, September 9, 2017

Salina, UT

It must've been the late 1980s. The company I worked for was acquired by Novell, and I visited Provo for business shortly after. The big grey mountains made an impression on me then. And the children running around the company cafeteria; this is a Mormon country.  It must've been in the winter time too. I remember skiing on one of the many skiing resorts here. I think it was Snowbird or Alta, I'm not sure. It was a long time ago.

The plan was to drive straight to Salt Lake City from Logan after refueling the car at Tremonton supercharger and make it a easy day. Then I looked at the map and found that Antelope State Park is on the way and that it crossed the Salt Lake. I had to make a stop. And I'm glad I did. Not only did it provide the view of the vast Salt Lake, but it was also the home of 600 free-ranging buffalo. A great photo opportunity.  After that, a brief stop at Utah State Capitol and Temple Square.


Then the rear passenger tire leaked again after refueling at Tesla Center in Salt Lake City. I had to turn around and come back to the Tesla Center. Fortunately, the Discount Tire store was right across and the good folks there patched it up for free. A nail got in, probably while driving through that nasty Moose-Wilson road to and from Teton Village.

The route from then on took us through the Utah Valley past Provo on Route 89. The sun was setting by then and made the desolate stretch more desolate.  By the time we got to Salina, it was way past 8 PM.  This time I booked for 2 nights to make sure we get some rest, in yet another roach motel named Rodeway Inn. And yet another bedbug problem. Wife's got bitten again, we had to move to another room. So much for resting.




No comments:

Post a Comment