Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Austin TX, Day 2

I developed a small blister on my upper lip, from the long drive two days ago, no doubt. It's the first time in 8 years. The limit imposed by CFS post-exertional sickness is so low that I've been keeling over well before I could do enough to develop a blister.  Now that I can handle long drives, the stress of it must be suppressing my immune system enough to trigger the cold sore without producing enough inflammation to trigger the post-exertional sickness. That means that my CFS threshold has been lifted enough to tolerate the amount of stress that triggers cold sore. I should be happy that I'm getting cold sore.

This Extended Stay in Metro Austin is so nice I could stay here for much longer. They originally gave us a dingy room with just one window by the bed. I asked for one with more window, and they obliged with very nice Jr 1 BR with windows on two sides.

I'm not quite as impressed about Austin. It is a nice city for sure, verdant and cosmopolitan enough. But nothing particularly special. It could be any large university/capitol town in the eastern half of the US. It could well be Raleigh. Barton Springs Pool was stunning though. It's probably a couple of hundred meters long and presumably filled with spring water sipping from Colorado river or Barton creek. The temptation to jump in was so great, I think I'll make another trip tomorrow and dip in.


We went to the State Capitol afterward, took a few pictures, got hungry and went for a bite at C'ilantro. I'm not keen on "fusion" Asian food as they are mostly sell-outs by people with no culinary self esteem. (There is no fusion French or Italian).  But we went for this one since I saw it a few times on TV. And it was a fusion alright, no more, no less. It is a fast food off a truck, so being fusion is excusable, I suppose.



Our next stop? New Orleans. But first, I need to rest one more day. I'm still tired and I don't want risk a sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment