Monday, April 3, 2017

Ridgecrest, CA

I'd like to stay here for one more day to rest and write if it weren't for the filthy motel. The bedding doesn't look clean and the bathroom sink is over a soggy carpet. America's Best Value it isn't. I chose it only because the free breakfast and higher rating, but this ain't no effing 2 star hotel. I'll check out Motel 6 and see if it's any better. It at least has a pool that I can lounge around. If that doesn't work either, we'll move on to the Death Valley and Tecopa Springs.

So, I survived the 400 mile, 8 hour drive. Tiring, but not bad at all. We did make four stops -- Gilroy, Harris Ranch, Bakersfield and Inyorken -- to charge the car. We could've done with three, but there was no point. I had to rest anyway and it's faster that way -- charging is slower if you fill up. Each stop took about 30 minutes, enough time for bathroom break and then to lay down and rest. Yeah, I already told you, Tesla is a perfect car for CFS patients.

Resting in Gilroy while charging the car
The Autopilot came through just in time too. Tesla updated the car software on March 29, just 2 days before the trip, with Autopilot fully functioning. And it was a lifesaver. I have no idea how I survived driving without it previously. (Well, OK, I didn't drive for years till the last Thanksgiving). Letting go of your arms and legs and resting does make a big difference in fatigue. An SUV full of family pulled up next to us at one point and everybody was gawking. They must've been impressed that I was eating banana and drinking water while driving.

Way into Sequoia Nation Forrest


Kern River swelled up after so much snow in the winter 
We took CA 178 through Sequoia National Forrest wilderness following Kern River to Inyorken from Bakersfield. The winding mountain pass took a toll on the mileage. It plummeted to 2 miles/kwh on the way up when the normal should be 3.5. Once we got down to the desert portion it got stretched out to 6 miles/kwh. I was worried about 190 mile loop through the Death Valley, but now I'm confident that we'll make it with plenty to spare, as long as I don't drive too fast.

Slower driving on flat land yielded projected range of over 400 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment