Friday, April 21, 2017

Lafayette, LA

"Tai Soong?" Shaqanette says as soon as we walked in. "Fill in this and this and sign here, sweetheart".  Then a white woman, a wiry and petite version of Dame Edna, says "I'd appreciate if you return this when you are done" in a curled southern drawl  as we check out the kitchenware. A haggard looking couple outside complains to each other something about getting or not getting a room on the first floor. They all wear this frown on their faces even when they are friendly. It's the weary look you see on Appalachian hillbillies or Okies in faded pictures.

This is Louisiana, the land of Confederacy of Dunces. I forget the plot --it's been decades since I read it in the college -- but it was a tragicomedy about haggard life of a ragtag group of blacks and whites in Louisiana. I meant to re-read, but never had a chance to. Maybe I'll get a e-book version and read it while I'm here. Or, check it out in the library. I'm going there anyway this morning. It's right next to Giles Nissan with J1772 charger.

So we checked in yet another Extended Stay yesterday evening. I don't seem to be able to get away from it. I was gonna book the cheapest motel instead of Extended Stay for the night before continuing to New Orleans. I still got Extended Stay when I booked it on priceline.com. I'm damn glad I did though. We were going to camp out while charging the car but it showered and wife was too tired from the effect of the med she took the night before. And this morning I'm too tired to continue, so we decided to stay here one more night and recuperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment