Saturday, April 8, 2017

Flagstaff, AZ

12 hours of driving, and I'm not sick, again. Am I making progress with CFS? Maybe it's the day of rest I had at Extended Stay of America in Las Vegas. Now I'm sticking better to my original rule of resting every other day. I did rest again today in this converted garage that we rented from AirBnb for 2 nights. But it's most likely that driving is not as fatal as walking. Sitting up for a long time makes me deadly tired, but apparently it does not create inflammation the next day like walking does. As long as I don't drive multiple days, that is. Then the accumulation ends up with inflammation.

We checked out at 8:30 and then we drove and drove. It would've been faster if we took the Interstate directly to Flagstaff, but we followed the drive #48 from the Reader's Digest Scenic Drives. It is the  Red Rock Country through Sedona. That meant that we go down to Wickenbug near Phoenix and then drive back up hill gaining almost 5000 feet. Tesla made just fine with the full charge from Wickenburg. Except for hitting a gigantic pothole at night near Flagstaff on the way up from Sedona. The right side of the car just exploded. I thought I hit a rock, but it probably was a pothole.  I found that both front and rear right wheels got damaged when I took it to Big O Tire for an alignment. Apparently there are lots of those in Arizona. The Big O mechanic knew. The car is now towed to Tesla service center in Tempe 150 miles way. I had to pay $690 ouf of pocket for it for now. Geico had  an issue of processing the claim one week after I started the collision coverage. They'll get back to me on Monday.


After I took this shot, the camera battery died. How lucky can I get?
Sedona was beyond what I imagined. It is a wide open space with huge red rocks and granites all around it. No wonder it is such a tourist town. The $15 I invested in the scenic drive book did pay off handsomely. The wife wants to go back again.

By the time we left Sedona, it was getting too close to sunset. We skept other points of interest and drove straight to the Red Rock state park. This route was about the red rock after all. And we got there in just nick of time. It was an overcast afternoon and the sun peeked under the cloud as it set, casting a beautiful light on the red rocks.

Tomorrow, we go to Grand Canyon. If I can get a car, that is. I did reserve a rental, but I have no way of getting to the rental location. Maybe George, the propriertor of this converted garage will take me there if Avis doesn't pick me up. Otherwise I'll have to take a cab. Oh, and we'll now have to stay in this garage indefinitely, at least I hear from Tesla as to how long it's going to take them to make my car whole and road-worthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment