Saturday, April 1, 2017

Moved Out

Moving is a stressful event under the best circumstances. For CFS patient, it is a million times worse. When I moved to the City in August 2008, I was new to CFS. I didn't know any better then. Then again in 2010. I felt like the Donny party at the base of the Sierra mountain desperately trying to climb out of the hole they were in, only to get stuck in the snow.

It got gradually better. It was still stressful the next time when I moved out of the City in 2012, but I don't remember feeling as desperate as before. I must've gotten better at managing the move for sure. And I got rid of a lot of stuff -- I was a minimalist -- by then. But my condition also improved and became more tolerant of exertion. I still wasn't able to walk any better, but I was getting better with muscular exertion in short spurts.

I started packing a week before moving this time. I didn't have much to pack to tell the truth; most of the stuff was the wife's. But yesterday I had to load up the car with the stuff that we need for the next 3 months. And I had to do some clean up. I somehow managed without killing myself. And today I recovered, mostly. A little sore and very tired, but I'm not sick. I think I'll be OK tomorrow to drive 300 miles to Ridgecrest. Tesla was updated with a new software yesterday and now it can drive by itself on the freeways. And I'll have to stop every hour or two to recharge the car, so I should be able to lay down and rest too.

The plan was to drive down to Ridgecrest yesterday afternoon. But the wife had a gig as a model that paid $600 for a couple hours of work. She wasn't the one to give up on that. That's why I had to take care of moving by myself, and it was a mighty fine decision to stay in the Bay area instead of driving down south. Then this morning, I decided to rest yet another day. Another fine decision. I am going to force myself to rest at least every 2 days. I don't want to recur the 6 weeks of struggle like the last time, after all.

Tonight, I'll charge up the car on the way back from dinner. Then we'll set out the 300 mile journey south tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment